- Two-time Olympian (2012, 2016); Six-time Olympic medalist (5 golds, 1 bronze)
- Rio 2016 Olympic Games, gold (4x200m free); 13th (200m free); 14th (200m back)
- London 2012 Olympic Games, gold (100m back, 200m back, 4x200m free, 4x100m medley); bronze (4x100m free); 4th (200m free); 5th (100m free)
- Most recent: 2015 – gold (4x200m free, 4x100m mixed free); silver (200m back); bronze (200m free, 4x100m free); 4th (4x100m medley); 5th (100m back); 7th (100m free)
- Years of participation: Long Course – 2011, 2013, 2015; Short Course – 2010
- Medals: 17 (11 golds, 3 silvers, 3 bronzes)
- Gold – 2011 (200m back, 4x100m medley, 4x200m free); 2013 (100m back, 200m back, 200m free, 4x100m free, 4x200m free, 4x100m medley); 2015 (4x200m free, 4x100m mixed free)
- Silver – 2010 (200m back); 2011 (4x100m free); 2015 (200m back)
- Bronze – 2011 (50m back); 2015 (200m free, 4x100m free)
Shields Gives Phelps Run For Money In 100-Meter Fly
Dave Dyer Dec. 05, 2015
The win was Phelps’ second in as many days at the AT&T Winter National Championships.
Red, White & Trending: Nov. 27-Dec. 3
Jamie MacDonald Dec. 04, 2015
Team USA salutes a retiring legend, Evan Lysacek lands in a physics book, a hulking NFL star startles Simone Biles, Mikaela Shiffrin makes history, Abby Wambach has a cupcake of a day and more.
75 Ways Team USA Athletes Give Back To The World
Lisa Costantini Nov. 15, 2015
Find out how Olympians and Paralympians are making the world a better place, in honor of Philanthropy Day.
Red, White & Trending: Oct. 2-8
Jamie MacDonald Oct. 09, 2015
Pancakes are for cheaters, Ronda Rousey readies for another close-up, Ashton Eaton's samurai cross-training, Missy Franklin's life-changing experience and more.
16 Of Team USA's Best Gold-Medal Smiles
Oct. 02, 2015
Celebrate World Smile Day with some of Team USA's biggest grins.
Which Fourth-Place Finishers Are Eyeing Redemption At The Rio Olympics?
Peggy Shinn Aug. 28, 2015
37 U.S. athletes finished fourth in 2012. Here's a look at some of the Rio medal hopefuls out for redemption.
Defending Olympic Champions Hoping To Shine Again In Rio
Peggy Shinn Aug. 20, 2015
From Phelps to the women’s soccer team, scores of defending Olympic gold medalists are on the Road to Rio.
Team USA Tops Medal Count At Swimming World Championships
USA Swimming Aug. 09, 2015
U.S. swimmers earn five medals on the final night of competition to end the event with 23 overall.
Katie Ledecky Wins Fifth Gold Medal, Sets Another World Record
Associated Press Aug. 08, 2015
The teenager is first swimmer to sweep 200-, 400-, 800-, 1,500-meter freestyle races at a single worlds.
Katie Ledecky, Missy Franklin Win Gold And Bronze In 200 Free
Associated Press Aug. 05, 2015
Competing in the 200-meter freestyle at worlds for the first time, Ledecky rallied from fourth to win.