2014 Paralympic Event: Sled hockey
DOB: May 9, 1986
Birthplace: Portsmouth, N.H.
Hometown: Hampton Falls, N.H.
Current Residence: Hampton Falls, N.H.
High School: Winnacunnet High School (Hampton, N.H.) ‘05
College: University of New Hampshire, Kinesiology ‘11
Club Team: Northeast Passage Wildcats
- Sochi 2014 Paralympic Winter Games, gold
- Vancouver 2010 Paralympic Winter Games, gold; named tournament’s top defenseman
- Torino 2006 Paralympic Winter Games, bronze
- Four-time International Paralympic Committee Ice Sledge Hockey World Championship medalist, gold (2009, 2012), silver (2013), bronze (2008); named tournament’s top defenseman in 2013; named to All-Tournament Team in 2012
- Six-time IPC World Sledge Hockey Challenge medalist, gold (2009, 2012), silver (2007, Nov. 2011, 2013), bronze (April 2011)
- 2010 Japan Para Ice Sledge Hockey Championship, 1st
- Nine-time U.S. National Sled Hockey Team member (2005-2013)
Taylor Chace is one of the most experienced members of the 2014 U.S. Paralympic Sled Hockey Team. Chace was a member of Team USA at both the Torino 2006 Paralympic Winter Games, where the U.S. earned bronze, and the Vancouver 2010 Games, where the team claimed gold. After being named the tournament’s top defenseman in Vancouver, Chace was named the USOC’s Paralympic SportsMan of the Year for 2010. He is one of the team’s longstanding leaders, having served as alternate team captain for the 2007-08 season and the team captain for the 2011-12 and 2012-13 seasons; he is now an alternate captain for the 2014 U.S. Paralympic Sled Hockey Team. A talented hockey player prior to injury, Chace never thought twice about giving up the sport. In October 2002, at age 16, he was playing in a game with the Eastern Junior Hockey League’s New Hampshire Monarchs when he suffered a broken back and an incomplete spinal cord injury. Just three years later, he had made his first U.S. National Sled Hockey Team for the 2005-06 season. Chace is also a member of the Northeast Passage/University of New Hampshire Wildcats club sled hockey team and has played with the Boston Bruins’ sled hockey club team.
More Stories ›