EVENT - SHORT TRACK SPEEDSKATING
HEIGHT 6'0" WEIGHT 153 lbs
- 2010 Olympic Winter Games
- Men's 5000m relay: bronze medalist
- Set 12 National Age Group Records
- Set four North American Age Group Records
- 2002-04, 2006 National Short Track Age Group Champion
- 2002, 2004 National Long Track Age Group Champion
- 2007 World Junior Short Track - Silver medal
- 2008 World Cup Short Track Team Member
- 2011 World Champion 500m
Birthplace: Seoul, South Korea
Residence: Salt Lake City, Utah
Coach: Jae Su Chun
At the age of 18, Cho was the youngest member of the 2010 Olympic Team, and went on to win a bronze medal in the men’s relay in his Olympic debut. During the 2010-11 season, Cho tallied eight World Cup medals and finished the season with a World Championship title in the 500m.
Cho actually gave up skating in January 2009 after a disappointing speedskating season. After thinking it through, Cho decided to skate at the 2010 Olympic Trials, but had no idea he would make the team. At the trials, Cho won the 500m event, securing a spot on the team in Vancouver.
Cho started skating when he was 3 years old in Seoul, South Korea. After moving to the United States when he was 5, Cho continued skating at several clubs until connecting with Jimmy Jang (a former USS National Assistant Coach) who coached Cho for nearly a decade.
During his junior in high school, Cho took time off to prepare for the 2010 Olympic Winter Games in Vancouver. He is currently enrolled at Ashworth College to complete his high school degree and pursue his undergraduate studies.