Height: 6-8 (203cm)
Hometown: Ridgefield, Conn.
Resides: Los Angeles
College: UC Santa Barbara
View Theo’s complete match statistics at BVBinfo.com
- Won his first FIVB medal when he took bronze with Todd Rogers at the 2014 World Series of Beach Volleyball in Long Beach, Calif.
- Took second at the 2014 Manhattan Beach Open (part of the AVP Tour) with Rogers and finished third with Rogers at the 2014 AVP Tour event in Salt Lake City
- Named 2013 and 2014 Best Blocker on the AVP Tour. Named 2014 Beach Newcomer of the Year by Volleyball Magazine
DID YOU KNOW?
- Finished third at the 2015 St. Petersburg Grand Slam with Theo Brunner, bumping their World Tour ranking to 17th following the event and heading into the World Championships
- Opened the 2015 season tying for fifth with Nick Lucena at the FIVB World Tour Fuzhou Open in China. The next time they placed was when they tied for 25th at the Moscow Grand Slam and 25th at the Porec Major.
- Won two gold medals with Todd Rogers on the 2014 NORCECA Tour (in Varadero, Cuba and Grand Cayman). Won a gold medal with Nick Lucena at the 2013 NORCECA Tour event in Chula Vista, Calif.
- First competed in beach volleyball in 2006, but didn't start playing full time until 2013
- Played indoors professionally in Greece, Italy and Germany
- Was a member of the indoor U.S. Men's A2 Team that won the 2010 Pan American Cup in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Finished second among all blockers in the tournament and first among the U.S. players with 13 totals blocks and five faults for an average of 0.72 blocks per set
- Was a member of the indoor U.S. Men’s Junior National Team that finished eighth at the FIVB World Championship in Visakhapatnam, India. Was the second-leading blocker for the U.S.
- All-MPSF Second Team his senior year at UCSB in 2008, when he also served as a co-captain
- In 2007, named AVCA First Team All American and First Team All MPSF
- Started at UCSB in 2004, but red-shirted his freshman year
- Graduated from UC Santa Barbara in 2008 with a BA in philosophy
- Began playing volleyball in 2000 with Connecticut Juniors and at Ridgefield High School
- Played setter and middle blocker at Ridgefield and earned First Team All-FCIAC and First Team All-State honors after leading the Tigers to the 2003 Connecticut Class L State Championship
- Parents are Tim and Sally Brunner. Has an older brother, Max, an older sister, Emily, and a younger sister, Lydia
| Theo Brunner, left, attacks during a 2014 NORCECA Tour event.
THE BIG BLURB
“I want to see Theo be successful now and for years to come. He has all the physical capabilities to be in the Olympics, potentially, in 2016, but definitely in 2020 and, if he stays healthy, 2024. He brings youth and fantastic blocking to the court.” – Todd Rogers on Theo Brunner in Presidio Sports
“Keys to success have been learning how to take care of my body in order to put up with the difficult travel schedule of beach volleyball. Getting in better shape, and just getting more matches under my belt in terms of experience.” – Theo Brunner in the Ridgefield Press
Fresh off win in Cuba, Brunner heads to Atlantic City for beach tourney – Ridgefield Press
Brunner has clear goal: Make U.S. Olympic beach volleyball team – Ridgefield Press
Todd Rogers, Theo Brunner stick around to take bronze – Daily Breeze
Updated June, 2015
More Stories ›