Hometown: Ventura, Calif.
Current Residence: La Jolla, Calif.
Joined National Team: 2010
Barminski took to field hockey in second grade when the sport was introduced to him in an afterschool program. With the encouragement and enthusiasm of his mother, a former player herself, Barminski competed in Cal Cup and was instantly hooked. He has since taken the pitch on the international stage with both the junior and senior men’s team at such events as World League Round 1 and World League Round 2 and the Junior Pan American Championship.
- 2014: Summer Series against Argentina, Chile and Mexico (Chula Vista, Calif.)
- 2013: World League Round 2 (5th, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)... Australian Youth Olympic Festival (3rd, Sydney, Australia)... Pan American Cup (Brampton, Ontario)
- 2012: World League Round 1 (1st, Chula Vista, Calif.)... Pan American Junior Championship (4th, Guadalajara, Mexico)
- 2008: Junior Pan American Games guadalajara, (Mexico 4th)
Nickname: Mikey and Christmas Morning
High School: Buena High School '11
Club: Ventura Roadrunners
College: University of California, San Diego
Major: Earth Sciences B.S.
Names of parents/guardians: Mike and Joan
Names of sibling(s): Elizabeth
Year you began playing field hockey: 2000
Game day mantra: Train hard, play hard
Favorite sports quote: "It ain't about how hard you hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward."
Best words of advice: Let frustration fuel you.
IN THE NEWS
- Michael Barminski is a budding star in soccer, but he has Olympic dreams as a field hockey player. vstar.com, December 2, 2008