Hometown/Residence: Dubuque, Iowa/Dubuque, Iowa
Birth Date: Jan. 21, 1989
College/Major/Grad Year: University of Nebraska/English/2012
Joined Team: January 2011
- Named 2013 USA Volleyball Female Indoor Most Improved Player of the Year
- Earned gold medals in back-to-back Pan American Cups (2012, 2013) as the starting libero
- Helped Team USA to bronze medal at 2011 Pan American Games in first international competition
MAJOR INTERNATIONAL COMPETITION:
2014 - USA Volleyball Cup...FIVB World Grand Prix (5th Prelim)...FIVB World Championship (Gold)
2013 - Pan American Cup (Gold)...USA Volleyball Cup...FIVB World Grand Prix (6th)...NORCECA Championship (Gold)...FIVB Grand Champions Cup (Silver).
2012 - Pan American Cup (Gold).
2011 – Pan American Games (Bronze).
Did You Know
- Started 11 of 13 matches at libero during 2014 FIVB World Championship, which included a 2.16 dig average over 37 sets played
- Started 20 of 31 matches at libero during 2013 season, compiling 2.25 dig average and 69 positive reception percent with only nine errors on 345 chances
- Ranked second in Best Digger at 2013 FIVB World Grand Champions Cup with 3.19 dig average
- Ranked atop the Best Receivers list at 2013 NORCECA Championship with a 89.6 efficiency percent on 67 attempts, and was second overall in Best Libero
- Tallied 24 digs in 2012 Pan American Cup gold-medal match against Brazil, which had several Olympians competing only a couples weeks prior to start of 2012 Olympic Games
- Finished four-year career at University of Nebraska wtih 1,706 digs
- Named alternate for the 2007 U.S. Women's Junior National Team
- Chosen Gatorade's Iowa High School Player of the Year in 2006 after averaging 4.00 kills, 3.70 digs and 1.43 aces per set at Wahlert Catholic
- Mother Anne played volleyball at University of Northern Iowa
- Hobbies are reading, Broadway, the beach and sun
The Big Blurb
Kayla Banwarth on Individual Accolades: “If I’ve learned anything in my college career, and this career (with USA Volleyball), it’s the individual stuff isn’t as important as the team stuff, because the team stuff is so much more special."
- Omaha World Herald: Former Husker Banwarth Has Made a Career With Team USA (Dec. 16, 2014)
- Lincoln Journal-Star: Ex-Husker Banwarth Finds Her Role with USA Volleyball (Sept. 18, 2013)
- Video: Kayla Banwarth on Life Lessons (Liberty Mutual Sports Responsible Sports
- Blog: Three Things I Wish I Knew Before Going Overseas (AthletesAbroad.com)
Last Updated: Oct. 30, 2014
More Stories ›