Jackie Barnes began playing goalball at a young age in her local area just for fun, but really did not start playing competitively until a few years ago. Shortly thereafter, she began receiving invitations to training camps and entered elite adult tournaments.
Entering the 2008 Paralympic Games, her biggest accomplishment was winning a gold medal at the 2005 Para Pan American Games in Sao Paulo, Brazil. When she left Beijing, however, Barnes had done one better: a gold medal at the world's largest international competition.
Barnes plans to graduate from the Colorado School of the Mines in 2009 with a degree in civil engineering. Along with goalball, Barnes enjoys water skiing and jet skiing.
- 2008: Gold medal, U.S. Paralympic Women's Goalball Team - Paralympic Games, Beijing, China
- 2008: Bronze medal, International Goalball Classic, Birmingham, Ala.
- 2008: Silver medal, USABA Nationals, Salt Lake City, Utah
- 2007: Bronze medal, USABA Nationals, Saint Augustine, Fla.
- 2006: Bronze medal, World Championships, Spartanburg, S.C.
- 2005: Gold medal, Para Pan American Games, Sao Paulo, Brazil