Ski and Snowboard
EVENT - CROSS COUNTRY SKIING
HEIGHT 5'4" WEIGHT 108 lbs
- Morgan Arritola placed 34th in the 10km free with a time of 27:04.4 and 38th in the 15km pursuit with a time of 43:25.9.
- 2010: Vancouver Olympic team: 10km Free, 27:04.4, 34th place; 15km Pursuit, 43:25.9, 38th place
- 2009 Worlds: 40th in the 10K classic, 32nd in the 15K pursuit, 14th in the 4x5 relay, 22nd in the 30K freestyle
- 2008: 2nd in 30K and pursuit at nationals
- 2007 First World Cup in Davos, SUI: 11th in the 4x5 relay
- 2006: 11th in Engadin Ski Marathon (St. Moritz, SUI)
- 2006: 2nd in 10K CL, 15K FR at nationals
- Two-time Junior Worlds racer
Birthplace: Bend, Ore.
Years on Team: 3
School: Westminster College
Club: Sun Valley SEF
Cross country racer Morgan Arritola left soccer in high school to ski and she's churning her way toward the same goal - i.e., elite success - but with a different World Cup.
As far as her coaches are concerned, in 2009 Arritola bridged the gap between her strong performances as a junior and where she needs to be this coming February in Vancouver. She finished fifth in the pursuit race at U23 World Championships in France prior to a 22nd place finish in the 30K freestyle event at the FIS World Championships in Liberec, Czech Republic.
Born in Bend, Ore., which has a strong nordic community - but she grew up in Salem, Ore., which doesn't. So, when she moved to the Sun Valley, Idaho, area as a high school freshman, she'd never skied. "I had some friends from the soccer team who skied cross country and they convinced me to practice with them, and I've kinda kept going." She was the J1 5K FR champ in 2004 and Older Junior 10K FR champ atJOs in 2005; Arritola also was on two Junior World Championships teams.
Harry Potter fan...Also concedes "Dumb and Dumber" would be on any list of her favorite movies...She has three dogs - two yellow Labs and a black Lab (Bruno, Hurley and Tucker) plus a cat named George...Favorite foods: cookies and milk.
Image by Matthew Stockman/Getty Images