Bobsled & Skeleton
HEIGHT 6'3" WEIGHT 185lbs
Follow Matt on Twitter @MattAntoine
Matt Antoine began in the sport of skeleton in 2003. He first became interested in the sport after watching the 2002 Olympics. In 2008, he led the Intercontinental Cup standings, placed fourth in the Junior World Championships and placed third in U.S. National Championships. He joined the World Cup team for the second half of the 2008-2009 season and won his first-ever World Cup medal, bronze, in Whistler, Canada, site of the 2010 Olympic Games. He had a breakthrough season in 2013-2014, which included several World Cup medal performances, including a victory in Lake Placid, N.Y.
In his free time, Antoine enjoys open wheel racing. He is the youngest of three; he has an older brother and sister. Antoine graduated from the California University of Pennsylvania in 2009, with a degree in sports management, wellness and fitness.
- He was cut from his first skeleton camp.
- He would own 100 dogs if he could.
- He likes to go fish and camp, whenever he can. "Campfire coffee is the best."
- 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games - BRONZE
- 2016 World Championships in men's skeleton - 9th in Igls (2/16)
- 2016 World Championships in team event - 7th in Igls (2/16)
- 2015-2016 World Cup - 10th in Altenberg (11/15); 9th in Winterberg (12/15); 15th in Koenigssee (12/15); 5th in Lake Placid (1/16); 4th in Park City (1/16); 4th in Whistler (1/16); 15th in St. Moritz (2/16)
- 2015 National Championships - GOLD in Lake Placid (3/15)
- 2015 World Championships in men's skeleton event - 12th (3/15)
- 2015 World Championships in team event - 5th (3/15)
- 4th overall in 2014-2015 World Cup - BRONZE in Lake Placid (12/14); 6th in Calgary (12/14); 15th in Altenberg (1/15); BRONZE in Koenigssee (1/15); 11th in St. Moritz (1/15); 8th in La Plagne (1/15); 11th in Igls (2/15); 8th in Sochi (2/15)
- 2013-2014 World Cup - 7th in Calgary (11/13), BRONZE in Park City (12/13), GOLD in Lake Placid (12/13), 4th in Winterberg (1/14), BRONZE in St. Moritz #1 (1/14), 6th in St. Moritz #2 (1/12), 6th in Igls (1/14)
- 2013 National Championships - SILVER in Lake Placid (3/13), 4th in Koenigssee (1/24)
- 2012-2013 World Cup -10th in Lake Placid (11/12), 9th in Park City (11/12), 15th in Whistler (11/12), 15th in Winterberg (12/12), 7th in La Plagne (12/12), 17th in Koenigssee (1/13), 16th in Igls (1/13), BRONZE Team Event in Igls (1/13), 8th Team Event at World Championships in St. Moritz, 12th at World Championships in St. Moritz (2/13), 11th in Sochi (2/13)
- 2012-2013 Intercontinental Cup -5th in Whistler #1 (11/12)
- 2011-2012 World Cup -10th in Igls (12/11), 4th in La Plagne (12/11), 19th in Winterberg (12/11), 21st in Altenberg (1/12), 4th in Koenigssee (1/12), BRONZE in St. Moritz (1/12), 14th in Whistler (2/12)
- 2011 National Champion
- 7th overall in 2010-2011 World Cup -6th in Whistler (11/10), 4th in Calgary (12/10), 9th in Park City (12/10), 4th in Lake Placid (12/10), 4th in Igls (1/11), 8 in Winterberg (1/11), 27th in St. Moritz (1/11), 9th in Cesana (1/11), 7th at World Championships in Koenigssee (2/11)
- 33rd overall in 2009-2010 World Cup -22nd in Altenberg (12/09)
- 4th overall in 2009-2010 Intercontinental Cup -BRONZE in Winterberg #1 (11/09), 5th in Winterbeg #2 (11/09), 13th in Konigssee (12/09), 4th in Cesana (12/09),
- 14th overall in 2008-2009 World Cup -8th in Konigssee (1/09), BRONZE in Whistler (2/09), 4th in Park City #1 (2/09), 7th in Park City #2 (2/09), 9th at World Championships in Lake Placid (2/09)
- 10th overall in 2008-2009 Intercontinental Cup -10th in Calgary (12/08), 4th in Park City #2 (12/08), BRONZE in Park City #3 (12/08), GOLD in Lake Placid (12/08)
- 2008 Intercontinental Cup Champion -4th in Cesana (12/08), 6th in Konigssee (12/08), 6th in Winterberg (12/08), BRONZE in Park City (1/08), 5th in Calgary (1/08), GOLD in Lake Placid (1/08)
- 2006-2007 results -12th in Calgary AC #1 (11/06), 10th in Calgary AC #2 (11/06), GOLD in Lake Placid AC (12/06), GOLD in Lake Placid AC (12/06), GOLD in Park City AC (12/06), GOLD in Park City AC (12/06), 6th in Winterberg EC (1/07)
Red, White & Trending: March 18-24
Jamie MacDonald March 25, 2016
Team USA loves puppies, Randall Cunningham's daughter becomes a star, Jason Brown's grandparents cut a rug, the U.S. women's water polo team gets really cheesy in Gouda, Ashton Eaton and his wife are house hunting (sort of), Tyler Clary and his sister form a nerd unit, Rickie Fowler goes long, Steven Nyman channels Chewbacca and much more.
6 U.S. Athletes To Watch At The Bobsled & Skeleton World Championships
Stuart Lieberman Feb. 10, 2016
Team USA will be bringing a strong and experienced group to Austria.
Red, White & Trending: Jan. 15-21
Jamie MacDonald Jan. 22, 2016
When a cement table needs moving, it helps to have Olympic stars Michael Phelps and Allison Schmitt around to help, plus Tamika Catchings makes history with a civil rights award, Ashley Wagner and Adam Rippon get fierce for nationals, Paralympic star Oksana Masters soaks in a Big Sky view, Kara Goucher's husband earns some domestic credit and more.
Park City World Cup photo gallery
Jan. 19, 2016
Check out images from the Park City World Cup, taken by Charlie Booker.
Red, White & Trending: Jan. 8-14
Jamie MacDonald Jan. 15, 2016
A little love from self-proclaimed-weirdo Shawn Johnson's fiance, Mikaela Shiffrin's comeback puts an emphasis on "back," Skylar Diggins gives back, Team USA gymnasts (and their abs) rock Rio and more.
Lake Placid World Cup photo gallery
Jan. 13, 2016
Check out images from last weekend's Lake Placid World Cup! Photos were taken by Pat Hendrick. Visit www.pathendrickphotography.com for more!
Lake Placid skeleton national team selection photo gallery
Oct. 28, 2015
Check out images from the men's and women's skeleton national team selection races in Lake Placid!
Who Were The Biggest Team USA Stars On Ice This Season?
Peggy Shinn April 08, 2015
U.S. skaters and sliders won 7 world titles and claimed over 80 international podium finishes this winter.
Matt Antoine Starts Skeleton Season With A Bronze And A Hunger For More
Brandon Penny Dec. 12, 2014
2014 Olympic medalist Matt Antoine led a U.S. skeleton team mixed with veterans and rookies to an impressive season-opening world cup in Lake Placid, New York, where all five athletes finished in the top 10.
U.S. Skeleton Team In Rebuilding Phase
Karen Rosen Dec. 10, 2014
With two of the five U.S. Olympic skeleton racers from the Sochi Games hanging up their sleds and another undergoing surgery, the track is clear for new talent to emerge.
More Stories ›